From holding press conferences to participating in a conference session panel, the Travel & Adventure Show
exhibitors can connect with the press to tell their story, show their products and demonstrate their expertise.
We invite you to use a variety of on-site services and programs to execute your PR plan.
A press conference at the show is an excellent way to have the media as a captive audience to debut new destination product offerings, tours, resort openings, or to make company announcements. If a press conference is part of your marketing strategy, the information below might be of assistance.
Can any company exhibiting at The Travel & Adventure Show hold a press conference.
Yes, all exhibitors are eligible. If you are interested in holding a press conference at the New York event, please contact Melanie Flavin at (203) 878-2577 x 108.
I would like to host a reception for the press. What opportunities do you have available?
There are opportunities to sponsor events such as receptions or breakfasts in all markets, Please contact Melanie Flavin at ATE (203) 878-2577 x 108.
Press Conference FAQ's
On what dates may press conferences and events be held?
For any events to be held on-site, exhibitors may hold them during dates of the show.
At what times may press conferences or events be held?
Press conferences or events may be held by written notification before, during or after show hours.
May I reserve a room for an entire day?
Yes, in all markets. Please contact Melanie Flavin, at ATE (203) 878-2577 x 108 for details regarding location options.
Is there a charge for press conference rooms in New York?
No. The room reserved for press conferences are provided free of charge, but exhibitors are asked to pay for any additional A/V equipment or furniture not included in the standard room-set, as well as any desired catering.
Is signage for the press conference provided?
No. Exhibitors will need to make their own arrangements to have easels stationed in the Press Room to announce their event.
How can I make sure that the press attends my event?
The PR Agency can include your event in their overall event pitching if they are given at least one month advance notice prior to the show. This outreach should not replace any outreach being undertaken by the exhibitor/event-holder, but will be able to compliment exhibitors efforts and drive additional people to the show. The Agency will also provide lists of media who are attending the show to all exhibitors who request it, so exhibitors may include those journalists in invitations and general outreach.
Please note that the media attendees list is updated weekly leading up to the show and many journalists wait until the last minute, the lists are not all-inclusive until the day of the show.
Press Conference Tips
A press conference at the show can be a very useful public relations tool. With proper planning, a press event provides a forum to have a large, targeted audience at your disposal so that you may deliver breaking news about your destination, resort or tour company.
Here are some guidelines to a successful event:
- Establish clear and precise objectives.
- Decide on a setting that might enhance delivery.
- Decide on a strategic date and time to hold the event and then, if you’re planning to hold the event on-site during the show, check with Melanie Flavin to make certain there is room available to you. Do not draft invitations or notify attendees until you receive final written confirmation of the room site from personnel.
- Use the pre-registered media list and other lists you or your PR firm compiles to identify and target the travel and/or lifestyle media that you wish to attend your event. Try setting a goal and working to meet it.
- Send electronic or printed invitations to the targeted media one month before the show.
- Follow-up with phone calls two weeks prior to the show to confirm attendance and remind potential attendees of the date and time.
- Prepare an announcement about the event to include in your press kits.
- Make sure to notify the Travel & Adventure Show staff of any changes in the date, time or location of your event—even if it is in your booth or outside the venue of the show.
- Have a sign-in book or business card collector at the door to see who attends your conference. Send thank you letters to those who attended and include any new information.
- For those exhibitors requesting an invitation-only event it is important to have someone stationed outside the door to ensure only those with invitations are allowed in. The Travel & Adventure Show does not have the manpower to do this for you.
How Exhibitors can become involved with the Travel & Adventure Show Media Outreach Campaign
Each year, the Travel & Adventure Show conducts extensive media outreach to both the national print and broadcast (radio and TV) media, as well as to those media outlets in each of its Show markets. Media are always interested in whatever is new in the active and adventure travel industry. We send them stories about specific activities taking place at our shows, our broad range of fascinating and educational seminars that feature the best of what the industry has to offer and also any emerging industry trends such as women adventure travelers, volunteer vacations and others.
We ask our exhibitors to contribute their news and attractions to this effort.
If you have news about your product:
- Share it with our PR agency who can, in turn, share it with the media who will be covering the show.
- Supply us with the names of your key representatives – those who will be quotable sources for the media.
- Send us your press releases. You never know when something you are writing may tie in nicely with an industry trend piece and garner you unexpected coverage.
- For television, please let us know which attractions you will provide that media can cover.
- If you’re bringing a cultural element from your destination – and we strongly encourage you to do so – please make us aware of it so that we can alert the media. The TV cameras especially wish to cover attractions and destinations that are colorful, entertaining and exotic, so if your attraction fits into any of those categories, please let us know!
Posting Your Press Releases
This year, the Travel & Adventure Show's offer its exhibitors another avenue to generate coverage by enabling them to post press releases on the website. Please send your releases to Melanie Flaving at firstname.lastname@example.org